This year, I move to Melbourne to begin the next phase of my life. I think there are some who doubt my committment to the endeavour, but I can assure you all, this IS going to happen.
- Get a job
- Find a GP
- Find Specialist to take over my cancer follow up care
- Find a hairdresser
- Move end of March / early April
So far I have applied for 10 jobs. Most of these positions are advertised via recruitment agencies, so even if none of these vacancies are suitable (particularly in regards to timing), at least I am now on the books to be considered for any other jobs that become available. My boss has already advertised my job, with the assurance that if I change my mind or my timetable, I stay as long as I need to.
I will be visiting Melbourne from the 12th to the 20th of February, hoping to meet with prospective employers at that time. I'm prepared to do Temp work when I first get there, that may make it easier to organise permanent work if I'm not interstate and don't have any notice periods to worry about. I'm even prepared to pull beers at our local for a while.... it's been a few years, but I'm sure I'll manage, and I've been assured that the work will be available if I need something to tide me over. Tomorrow I will phone my contact at the Fund Manager we use for a lot of our business. He has told me previously that he may be able to organise something for me at their Melbourne headquarters.
Sometime this week I will call J's sister and ask her about her G.P. If I can get an appointment for while I'm there in February, I may be able to arrange referrals to various specialists. I need to have somewhere for my records to be sent. She may even be able to point me in the direction of a Breast Cancer specialist. Given that their Mum died of Breast Cancer 20-odd years ago, both J's sisters have regular checkups.
I think, in my last update The Brat was out of work again. Well he started a new job the week before Christmas, and as usual seems to be going okay. In huge contrast to his previous position he seems to be getting paid well above the odds. Excellent, given that my move to Melbourne means that he too will be moving out of this house, and needs to save some coin to get himself set up elsewhere. he's REALLY looking forward to it, had planned to be out of home a while ago, but put his plans on hold so that he could be here to support me through treatment. Some of the time he has been spectacular, some of the time, not so much. He's on track to finish his apprenticeship about a month after my planned departure, but as he has completed the classroom elements of his apprenticeship, may be able to qualify early. This will depend on his being proactive enough to get his head chef to sign him off on all of the incomplete practical elements of his training log. He's done them all, but he needs a chef to sign that he's competent. I'm hoping that with a month or so in his current position he will do that, because apart from allowing him the freedom to work anywhere (at the moment he is tied to host employers who deal with his training organisation), he will get a few dollars from the government for qualifying early. That will help him with his moving costs, and ease my concerns a bit too.
J's Dad has rallied. He is now in Palliative Care at the Werribee Hospital, but they are making noises about discharging him. His kids are trying to make alternative arrangements, they feel he would be best off in a nursing home where he access to 24 hour care. Failing that, I believe J's sister is considering having him back at her place. This is NOT an ideal solution, as she and her husband both work, and he really needs someone there at all times. All of the kids work, so unless there is a way to arrange a roster so that one of them or their spouses can be available at all times, I can't see it working. If that's the way it's got to be, I will take my turn along with everyone else. At least I am not a stranger to him, he's known me 30+ years.
I have not discussed my plans with Mum and Dad. I just don't have the energy to fight them on this. I have enough drama in my life right now, and am concentrating on what's best for me. I know that Mum has been told (by my sister - with my permission), but she has not spoken to me about it. Maybe I'm just burying my head in the sand, but in a couple of weeks, when my treatment is finished and my burns are healing, I will hopefully be strong enough to tackle the issue head on. Mum's response when my sister told her of my plans, was that my relationship won't last, and that I shouldn't be moving so far away from The Brat. Who knows? Maybe she's right about me relationship, but I'm CERTAINLY not going into this with the expectation that we will fail, or even possibly fail. A lot has happened between J and I over the last 18 months, a lot that I haven't shared, but I believe with every fibre of my being that this WILL work, as long as we work at it. From my observation, given that I've never been in this position before, I think ALL relationships need the partners to work at maintaining them. As far as The Brat is concerned, I should do what makes me happy. He doesn't really plan to stick around long once he qualifies anyway, though whether or not he gets himself organised to get out and experience the world remains to be seen. I hope so!
Wish me luck folks, and any and all employment leads will be gratefully received.